OpenMP numthreads option with MC simulations

What would you like to see implemented in Hippo? Let the developers know. You can also use polls to have other users vote for your suggestions. Use one topic per request.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ldav
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
OpenMP numthreads option with MC simulations

Post by ldav » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:00 am

OpenMP numthreads:
While performing a MC simulation I tried to change the number of threads used, but the speed was never affected [using 0,1,4 or 8]. In fact it seems that Hippo uses the maximum number of threads available on one node regardless the value of 'OpenMP numthreads'. Also, when I tested Hippo on a dual quadcore CPU, the computational time was the same as the one on a single quadcore CPU (using OpenMP numthreads = 0). Is the number of threads used only limited to one core (i.e. 4 CPUs here)?

jakob
Developer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: OpenMP numthreads option with MC simulations

Post by jakob » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:19 pm

Sorry, MC is not parallelized yet. the openMP numthreads is only for MD simulations. MC will be parallelized in the future.